Table scape from our Chestnut Hill Home project
It feels like we blinked and Thanksgiving is already here! I find it's important to establish a timeline when planning for any holiday...
TO DO LIST:
- Create your guest list.
- Invite your guests, and ask about any food restrictions/allergies. Don't be afraid to ask them to bring a side dish along with them. (It alleviates some stress, trust me.)
- Check your cooking and dinner ware inventory.
- Buy your frozen turkey or reserve a fresh one.
ONE WEEK OUT:
- Finalize your menu.
- Print out any recipes you need, make notes if necessary.
- Make your shopping list. Take note of what you already have in your pantry and what's need to purchase.
TUESDAY (2 DAYS BEFORE THANKSGIVING):
- Get out serving platters and tableware. Label each serving platter or bowl with a sticky note to denote which dish will be served in it. Don’t forget to find the proper serving utensils for each item on the menu.
- If possible, pre-set the table or buffet area.
- Run to the grocery store one more time for any last-minute items you forgot.
- Brine the turkey. This can be done 1-3 days ahead of time.
- Start making some of the dishes that can be prepped ahead of time like cranberry sauce, pies, desserts, and salad dressings.
MORNING OF THANKSGIVING:
- Prepare the turkey for roasting.
- Place your turkey in the oven to start cooking.
- Work on the side dishes (preparing/reheating as necessary). Remember to use a crockpot to warm dishes where possible.
- Prep any cocktails.
30 MINUTES BEFORE YOU'RE READY TO EAT:
- Carve the turkey. Make sure it has had time to rest.
- Make the gravy (if using turkey drippings).
- Finish re-heating any last-minute dishes.
- Clean up the kitchen as much as you can.
- Plate up all the dishes, go the buffet route OR serve family style right on the table.
Photo from howsweeteats.com
Table scape by Kristin from our Cambridge Historic District project
Dining room from our Beacon Hill Townhouse project
2023 table scape from our Nantucket Captains' House Project
FUN & EASY COCKTAILS WE'LL BE TRYING THIS SEASON
Cocktail recipes from @bythebakers